Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reality Check - Cancer SUCKS!

Today starts a new day for me; I am going to share my Reality of Cancer with you. As I undergo this journey a second time, I will share the experience and hope that it will help someone else who is also traveling this painful and unforgettable journey.


In Oct of 2007, I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It could not be a normal lymphoma; I had to have a rare B Cell Lymphoma. For three months the lymphnode, which was removed from my left neck, was flown from Florida, to Texas, to Boston, and then back to Florida. Determining a course of treatment was difficult.

Finally in Feb of 2008, my oncologist said they had found a chemical combination that was shrinking the cancer and could possibly put the cancer into remission. I happily agreed to the treatment and for eight months I went through what I would consider to be hell on earth.

By October of 2008, the cancer had begun remission and by Christmas of 2008 I was celebrating the fact that I was in remission. I was still not able to function an entire day, but I was celebrating that I did not have to have the treatments.

In August 2009, I went for a follow up PET Scan to ensure that I was still in remission and there were no signs of the Cancer returning.

On Sept 10th at 2:33pm, I received the news, "IT'S BACK!" I will not forget those words or the time of day. You cannot begin to imagine what was going through my mind at that time.

I have a biopsy scheduled for the 22nd of Sept to determine what type of Cancer I have... will it be the same? Will it be another strand? Will this be treatable? How will I make it through?

I will keep you posted as I travel this journey. Today, I will mourn the loss of a great actor and entertainer who loosed his battle to Cancer. Patrick Swayze was a remarkable entertainer. Visit my other blog, www.TheRamblingsofDouglas.blogspot.com to read more...and you can follow me on twitter at @CancerReality


Until next time,

Cancer Reality SUCKS!
xoxo D

No comments:

Post a Comment